Burt is the Chairman of the firms Labor and Employment Practice Group. Burt has extensive experience exclusively representing management in all matters involving the employer-employee relationship. He routinely represents and counsels employers in wrongful discharge claims, accusations of discrimination or harassment, covenants not-to-compete, and government audits of employment practices.
Burt and his team offer employers one on one counseling as well as management training, including the widely recognized and well-attended Employment Law Update. These proactive measures help employers save time, money and energy by avoiding litigation.
Under Burts direction, the firms Labor and Employment Practice Group has helped employers prevail in a number of precedent setting cases in the Virginia Supreme Court. One such case effectively shields employers from many types of wrongful discharge claims under state law. Another victory helps employers enforce non-compete covenants, protecting them from unfair competition by former employees.
- Litigated numerous wrongful discharge cases establishing the rights of Virginia employers
- Successfully handled many covenant not-to-compete cases, including a number of cases that have reached the Virginia Supreme Court
- Successfully defended employers against claims under federal anti-discrimination laws
- Successfully defended against attempts to enforce invalid covenants on behalf of new employers
- Assisted employers with resolving numerous matters utilizing alternative dispute resolution options, including mediation
- Best Lawyers in America, 1999-2013
- Americas Leading Business Lawyers; Chambers USA, 2005-2012
- Virginia Super Lawyers; Law & Politics, 2006-2012
- Virginia Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition; Law & Politics, 2008-2010
- Virginia Legal Elite; Virginia Business Magazine, 2004-2012
- Virginia Legal Elite Top Employment Lawyer; Virginia Business Magazine, 2004
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Phi Delta Phi
- American Bar Association; Labor and Employment Law Section, Litigation Section
- Virginia Bar Association; Initial member of Governing Council, Chairman of the Labor and Employment Law Section, 1994-1995
- Virginia Law Foundation; Chairman of CLE Labor and Employment Law Committee, 1996-2005
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- YMCA of South Hampton Roads; Board of Directors
- Wake Forest University; B.A., magna cum laude, 1974
- University of Virginia School of Law; J.D., 1978