Manufacturing & Distribution
Manufacturing and distribution of products is the cornerstone of the world economy. Our Manufacturing & Distribution Team understands these processes and strives to deliver innovative leadership to help our clients achieve their strategic goals. From product inception to final sale, we provide counsel and support to our manufacturing and distribution clients every step of the way.
The Manufacturing & Distribution Team at Kaufman & Canoles has deep industry knowledge. We provide a wide spectrum of services to our manufacturing and distribution clients and the depth of our knowledge enables us to share a clear understanding of our clients business strategies and legal needs. Our understanding of the manufacturing and distribution processes and the associated needs of the industry is why we offer a specialized industry team. Whether the process is casting, molding, machining, joining, assembly, rapid manufacturing, 3-D printing, woodworking or distributing, we have the experience and expertise to provide effective, practical, and cost-effective solutions.
Manufacturing and distribution companies, whether start-up or established U.S. or international corporations, are constantly confronted with unique legal issues. Our attorneys use their skills to advise our manufacturing and distribution clients on a myriad of legal issues, including corporate governance, tax, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, employment issues (including issues related to non-competition, restrictive covenants and trade secret agreements), OSHA/work place safety, product liability, contract and intellectual property matters.
- Project financing and capital investment
- Tax exemptions, credits and preferences
- Intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright, trade secrets)
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate governance, compliance programs (antitrust and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, among others) and risk management services
- Real estate and site selection
- OSHA audits/workplace safety issues
- Human resources and employment matters
- Tax planning and tax controversy
- Insurance planning and recovery
- Distribution Agreements (including credit applications, terms of sale and terms of purchase)
- Drafting Warranty, disclaimer and limitations of liability provisions, defense of product liability and indemnification claims
- Served as in-house and, subsequently outside, general counsel to national business process outsourcing and document management organization, responsible for the organizations legal functions and compliance, including those associated with ongoing operations, syndicated credit facilities and merger and acquisition activities.
- Represented national building product manufacturer in buy-out of joint venture partner.
- Represented Workflow Management, Inc. and its affiliates in connection with its sale pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented automotive OEM in acquisition of manufacturing line operations as a part of vertical integration strategy.
- Represented automotive OEM in manufacturing and product development joint venture arrangements, global sourcing and supply contracts, and technology licensing.
- Represented national building products manufacturer and supplier in numerous acquisition and divestiture transactions as well as joint venture, supply and sourcing arrangements.
- Represented specialty software design and sale business in strategic sale to international public company.
- Represented privately held national business process outsourcing and document management organization in strategic sale to publicly traded competitor.
- Assisted national food and agribusiness manufacturer in disputes with multiple localities regarding manufacturer classification for purposes of business tangible personal property taxation.
- Assisted manufacturers and distributors in assessing insurance programs and seeking recovery from insurers for losses and claims.
- Maintained the trademark portfolio for a national business process outsourcing and document management organization.
- Negotiated vendor and customer software license agreements for a national business process outsourcing and document management organization.
- General counsel to a major international compressor manufacturer, advising on all aspects of its U.S. and international distribution agreements and related issues.
- General counsel to a new United States motorcycle manufacturer.