Our ESOPs & Employee Benefits Group takes a business-oriented approach to employee benefit matters. Maintaining employer flexibility and legal compliance in the face of overlapping and ever-changing regulations requires a commitment from legal counsel to simplify the complex and a practical approach to solving clients problems. Attorneys in this group are dedicated full-time to this area of concentration.
Employee benefits have grown recently to encompass more than one-third of the compensation budget of most employers.
The benefits arena has become exceedingly complex with each new layer of state and federal regulation. Due to the continuing stream of complex and technical employee benefits legislation since ERISA, the federal government plays an active role in how you plan and administer your employee benefits programs. Every employee benefits program demands frequent reexamination in light of fast-changing federal law and regulation.
The Employee Benefits Group at Kaufman & Canoles works with the legal, financial, and human resource professionals of our clients to implement and maintain the most effective and cost-efficient benefits programs. We serve government contractors, manufacturers, sales and distribution companies, technology ventures, and non-profit organizations. We also serve banking and finance, healthcare providers and systems, and professional services firms. Our clients include international companies, publicly traded corporations and state and local governments.
A unique distinction of the Kaufman & Canoles Employee Benefits team is our experience in structuring and counseling businesses in the establishment of Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP).
The continuance of your corporate personality and the question of succession in your business may be best addressed by having one of our attorneys assist you in looking at the various options available. For example, how will the ESOP affect your day-to-day operations? How will your customers and employees respond? We can provide counseling, planning, design, and implementation of your ESOP, or S Corporation ESOP, and can structure a leveraged ESOP buyout for your company.
We have established a consulting subsidiary, Equity Strategies, LLC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to focus on ESOP Feasibility Studies, lender searches and other services related to business succession through ESOP, and other types of structured management buy-outs.
Our attorneys design and advise on all tax-qualified pensions, profit sharing and stock bonus plans, and group and other insurance programs. We help you retain valued employees and work within your corporate objectives. We provide many services in the benefits area, including:
Executive Compensation & Tax Counsel
- Non-qualified Plans
- Stock Options
- Management Incentive Plans
- Golden Handcuffs & Parachutes
- Individual Retirement & Estate Planning
- 457 Plans for Tax Exempt Organizations
- Plan Design & Implementation
- Plan Amendment
- Domestic Relations Orders, QDROs & Kiddie QDROs
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- Plan Compliance & Corrective Procedures
- Defined Benefit, 401(k) Profit Sharing, Cross-Tested and Age-Weighted Plans
- Benefits Aspects of Corporate Transactions
- Use of IRCs in Connection with Foreign Sales Corporations
- Executive Employment Agreements
- Insurance Funded Benefits
- Split Dollar Life Insurance
- Stock Redemption and Cross Purchase Agreements
- Salary Continuation
Welfare Benefit Plans
- Group Health, Life and Disability, 125 Plans
- Severance Arrangements (Individual and Group)
- COBRA/HIPAA - Health Care Continuation & Certification Requirements
- FMLA Family Leave Requirements
- Application of Federal Employment Laws to Benefits Plans
- Benefit Claims
- Fiduciary Duties
- Tax Qualification Disputes