Our Family Law attorneys have earned a reputation for outstanding legal services to clients in all aspects of this practice area. We are well established in the legal community, with an excellent reputation with the judiciary as well as other attorneys. We keep abreast of changes in the law, we are readily accessible and we render service in a timely manner. In short, we hold ourselves to the highest standards, and we are zealous, compassionate advocates for our clients.
Our Family Law Group is well established in the legal community, with a reputation of being well versed in all areas of family law, and a mutual level of respect with both the judiciary and other attorneys. And, we pride ourselves on referrals from recommendations of past clients. We value our clients and strive to provide the highest level of service and cost-effective solutions. Our attorneys are compassionate to our clients' needs as we assist them in making difficult decisions about their future.
Clients have great access to our Family Law attorneys, yet we also have an excellent support staff, including legal assistants and paralegals. Additionally, as a full-service law firm, we can easily tap into our many resources within the firm when needed.
Members of our Family Law group are recognized in "The Legal Elite" and "The Super Lawyers" and are affiliated with the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the Virginia Coalition for Legislative Change, Collaborative Divorce Solutions of Tidewater and the Judicial Committee for the Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
Divorce can be a complicated and highly emotional process. It helps to have someone on your side who can guide you through and protect your interests. Our Family Law attorneys will keep you informed on all aspects of your case.
We are experienced in complex divorce issues including valuation of businesses, tracing separate interests in marital property, protecting separate assets, equitable distribution of marital assets, spousal support, custody and visitation, and child support. Our Family Law attorneys can also assist in adoptions, prenuptial agreements and other domestic issues including post-divorce issues involving division of retirement and custody and support matters.
Divorces can also entail other complex issues which may require specific expertise in the areas of tax, real estate, business, and trust and estate laws. Kaufman & Canoles has experienced attorneys in all of these areas to handle any issues that may arise.
We strive to resolve divorces in a non-adversarial fashion through agreements, mediation and collaborative law, whenever possible. However, when litigation is required, we are well-prepared trial lawyers who effectively represent the interests of our clients.
- Contested and Uncontested Divorces on a Fault or No-Fault Basis
- Spousal Support
- Child Custody, Visitation and Support
- Separation Agreements
- Equitable Distribution of Property
- Retirement, Pensions and Profit Sharing
- Business Valuation and Division
- Personal and Real Property Division
- Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) Actions
- Post-Divorce Issues
- Pre-marital Agreements/Marital Agreements
We successfully represent our clients in all aspects of Family Law matters, ranging from uncontested divorces to complex divorces involving business valuations, property division and contested custody and support issues. Our practice provides our clients with the benefit of advice from all the attorneys at Kaufman & Canoles, including business, tax and estate specialists. This experience allows us to represent a wide spectrum of clients including business owners, physicians, real estate developers, and other professionals and their spouses.
- Represent business owners and/or their spouses involving complex valuation issues
- Represent clients in preparation of Pre-Marital/ Marital Agreements to protect assets
- Represent military members and their spouses involving all aspects of Military law, including pensions and survivor benefi t plans
- Represent Father/Mother/Grandparents in contested custody matters
- Represent state, civil service and federal employees regarding division of retirement/ pension benefi ts
- Represent clients in contested support matters
- Represent clients seeking unpaid child support from non-paying parents
- Represent clients in multi-state custody, visitation and support disputes
- Represent clients through mediation and collaborative law to resolve issues in a non-adversarial manner